Monday, January 23, 2012

CD12 - IUI and MFI

     Today was the day. Insemination. Intrauterine Insemination(IUI), to be exact. Our day started with a date with a plastic cup. These dates are never the most exciting or sexy. And we NEVER really look forward to them. Jim took his sample to the RE's office first thing and when he got back I headed to the acupuncturist's office. I've been practicing Traditional Chinese Medicine for the past 5 months, or so. When I got back, Emmy's Grandma was already there and Jim and I headed back to the RE's office.
     We waited for about 10 minutes and then were called back to the room. I was instructed to undress from the waste down and wait for the doctor. I did as instructed as Jim played on my phone. He doesn't have a smart phone, so any chance he gets to fiddle on mine, he takes. When the doctor came in, he explained the process and went through the sperm washing results with us. When you are doing IUI, they take your sperm sample and "wash" it. This basically means that they concentrate it and take all the crap out that is dead or unnecessary. The washed results are much lower because most of it has been stripped.

 Jim has had a semen analysis(SA) done twice and they generally went like this:

Total count - Between 16-24 million
Total motility - 40%

    Those are the only 2 numbers I will go over as they are the most important. Motility is forward moving. That means that 60% of his "guys" generally swim in circles or go no where. The average count for a typical guy is between 20-100 million and average motility is 50%. We've always known that we were dealing with slight Male Factor Infertility(MFI) but our doctor always referred to these results as "borderline".

    Today's count, post wash, was as follows:

Total count - 8 million
Fast Forward moving - 0%
Total motility - 10%

     The doctor was not happy with this. He didn't use the word "borderline" anymore. He used the term "IVF" instead. Up until this point, he thought that we were perfect candidates for IUI. But, these numbers are too low. Post wash, they hope the total count will be at least 10 million with a total motility of at least 50%. He explained that he will keep doing IUI's as long as we want, but IVF would be our best option.
     We have always said that because we already have a child, IUI is the furthest we will go. IVF is much more involved and takes a lot more time, energy, and money.
     After explaining our odds, the doctor went ahead with the procedure. I put my legs up in those awful stirrups and laid back. I was chatting with the doctor and the nurse about things that I can't really recall now and before I knew it, we were done. I was instructed to lay there for 20 minutes and they left the room.
     Jim and I were both deep in thought most of the time trying to make sense of what he just told us. We were both a bit shocked that the results were so poor. Even his worse SA wasn't this bad. He's very hopeful, but I'm not really counting on this working.
     We have made a few dietary changes and recently discovered that Jim is vitamin D deficient, so I'm really hoping that once that is resolved, our problems will be over. I'll keep this updated, but our blood pregnancy test isn't until 2/6/12, which will be CD26.
     Thanks everyone for reading and please let me know if I've been too vague about anything and you have questions.

5 comments:

  1. I have been thinking of you all day and I don't even know you!!! I have really enjoyed reading about your experiences, my husband and I are just starting out on our journey and it's been nice to hear a daily count of what to expect (and be able to laugh about it all too!)
    Good luck to you and Jim, you are in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki-
      I am so glad you are enjoying it! I started it to keep my family in the loop and never thought that anyone outside of our circle would find it interesting. Please let me know if you have any questions. I've tried to tailor it for the people who have no infertility experience(all of my family and friends) so it might be a good guide to those just starting out. I wish you luck and hope your struggles are short and painless. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers and hope we both get our little miracle soon!

      Delete
    2. Lindsey,

      I am not sure how I came to find your blog but I am so glad I did!!! I do "stalk" the bump but never posted.... your account of the process here gives a lot more insight than what I have found anywhere else and the fact that we have similar MFI makes me feel more connected. BTW - I LOVE the Homer reference!
      Again, all the luck to you guys!!!!

      Delete
  2. Hey Lindsey,

    I just checked in for an update! Please don't think you are out of the running this cycle. The semen analysis we had done the week before I got my surprise BFP showed DH only having 10 million before the wash and his morphology was at 1%. We got the IVF speech as well, but I wanted to tell you my RE told us he likes to see more than 5 million for IUI's, obviously the more the better, but 8 million is better than none, so hopefully the head start will help them get to that egg quicker and easier ;) Fingers crossed!!
    *Saraevh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Saraevh!
      It's hard not to get discouraged with bad numbers. Of course, in my head, I know that we got KU with DD when the Dr. didn't think it was possible. So, I am really just praying and pumping DH with as many supplements as he can possibly eat. Thanks for the kind words and reading the blog! Hopefully, I have some good news to report soon!

      Delete